Notice – About Thanksgiving

The Vershire Town Office will be closed during the week of Thanksgiving; no appointments are scheduled.  As Covid-19 cases continue to spike in Vermont and specifically in Orange County, the town is returning to a more strict protocol within the town office for the upcoming holidays and we will all be working remotely as much as possible.  An appointment is required to conduct all business at the town office.  If you have a need, please email or call the office to leave a message for either the Clerk or the Listers.  This does mean you may not be able to call and schedule an appointment for the same day.  This may cause some frustration, on both your part and ours, but it is a necessary means to limit person to person contact, slow the spread of the novel coronavirus and for keeping the curve of transmission down locally.

We are doing the best we can to meet your needs, those of the community, and also our own.  The Town office number is 685-2227 for the Clerk and 685-2224 for the Listers.  Emails: and  If you have a question for the Animal Control Officer, please page Erica at (802) 240-0402 or email her at

If you don’t need to go out, don’t.  If you do, remember to maintain “six foot spaces, mask on faces, uncrowded places.”

Town Clerk

The Vershire Town Office is located at 6894 VT Route 113.  Due to the novel coronavirus pandemic in Vermont and surrounding states, the town office is closed to casual everyday foot traffic for the forseeable future.  Office staff is at work but will be operating only by phone, email and appointment.  Hours of operation are Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday 8:30am to 4:30pm, closed 12:00pm to 1:00pm.  If you are looking to buy trash bags, a dog license, a Hartford Transfer Station sticker, etc., you will have to call ahead.  If you are seeking an appointment to perform title research, you also must have an appointment scheduled ahead of time.   If you do set up an appointment, masks are required in the office and must be worn by both staff and visitors alike.  Again, we are open by appointment only.  Call (802) 685-2227, or email if you have questions.

Gene Craft, Town Clerk

Dog Licensing:

Dog licensing is a recurrent annual event.  The State of Vermont requires all dogs to be licensed in their town of residence.  To be registered, every dog must have a current rabies vaccination.  If you dog has a current vaccination on record, you are asked to send payment in the U.S. mail and a license will be sent in return.  Due to the  COVID-19 pandemic, if your dog is currently overdue for its next rabies vaccination, you are allowed an extension to license that particular animal.  Any animals with current vaccination records should be licensed before the April 1, 2020 deadline.

Dog Licensing Fees

Spayed/Neutered $9.00

Intact M/F $13.00

Late Licensing Fees

Spayed/Neutered $12.00

Intact M/F $18.00

Trash Bags:

Vershire residents are required to use specific green trash bags to dispose of their trash.  The bags are 33 gallon-size and are purchased from the Town Clerk during regular office hours.  Please call ahead to arrange this purchase.

Bags are $3.00 each.

Residents bring their trash bags and recycling to the Durgin Hill Fast Trash location located at 15 Durgin Hill Road every Saturday morning from 7:00am to 12:00pm.

Recycling Saturdays

Recycling consists of two separate streams: 1) mixed paper media (cardboard/office paper/junk mail), and 2) glass, metal and plastic food containers.

Starting July 1, 2020, the Durgin Hill site will also accept food scraps, as required by Vermont law and Act 149, Vermont’s Universal Recycling law.  

Please observe social distancing and wear a face mask/covering when you are there!

Office Research:

During the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic in Vermont there is limited title research happening in the Vershire Town Office.  However, the town is not currently in a position to allow complete and unfettered access to the town office.  To perform title work in the Vershire Town Office, you are required to have an appointment scheduled in advance.  Please call or email the Vershire Town Clerk for more information.

If you have specific requests or need to schedule an appointment, please email ( or telephone (802 685-2227).

Getting Married:

Marriage Licenses – Civil Marriage License Application.   You can save this file to your computer and fill out electronically.  It will have to be printed out, signed and returned to apply for a marriage license.  Civil Marriage License Application.

(Please call ahead for an appointment for getting a Marriage License)

Vermont has a process in which anyone (well, almost anyone) may become a temporary officiant to marry.  Follow this link to find out how.

To find out more about getting married in Vermont, check out these FAQs from the Vermont Secretary of State’s Office.


VT Primary Election, Tuesday, August 11, 2020.  Polls open 7:00am to 7:00pm in the Vershire Town Center Building.

VT General Election, Tuesday, November 3, 2020.  Polls open 7:00am to 7:00pm in the Vershire Town Center Building.

Early Absentee Ballot Requests (if you are already registered to vote) – you can download a fill-able absentee ballot request form.  This form must be signed, then snail mailed to the clerk.

For more information about registering to vote, check out the Vermont Secretary of State’s website here.

Animal Control Officer – if you have found, or have been found by, a stray dog or cat, you can contact the Vershire ACO, Erica Thurston, at 802 240-0402. Leave a call back number and she will call you back!